This step by step diy project is about simple 12×16 shed with hip roof plans. I had lots of request for a 12×16 shed with a hip roof, so here is my take for this project. This shed features double 6′ doors to the front, two windows to the front and a side window. You can easily adjust the dimensions of the doors and windows. Make sure you read the local codes so you can comply with the legal requirements. Take a look over the rest of my woodworking plans, if you want to get more building inspiration.
When buying the lumber, you should select the planks with great care, making sure they are straight and without any visible flaws (cracks, knots, twists, decay). Investing in cedar or other weather resistant lumber is a good idea, as it will pay off on the long run. Use a spirit level to plumb and align the components, before inserting the galvanized screws, otherwise the project won’t have a symmetrical look. If you have all the materials and tools required for the project, you could get the job done in about a day. See all my Premium Plans HERE.
Projects made from these plans
Building a 12×16 Shed with Hip Roof Plan
[tabs tab1=”Materials” tab2=”Tools” tab3=”Time” tab4=”Related Plans”] [tab id=1]
- A – 3 pieces of 6×6 lumber – 16′ long SKIDS
- B – 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 16′ long, 13 pieces – 141″ long FLOOR FRAME
- C – 5 piece of 3/4″ plywood – 48″x96″ long, 2 pieces – 48″x48″ long FLOOR
- D – 1 piece of 2×6 lumber – 16′ long, 2 pieces – 60″ long, 14 pieces – 88″ long, 15 pieces – 4″ long, 4 pieces – 36″ long, 8 pieces – 37″ long, 2 pieces – 78 1/2″ long, 12 pieces – 27″ long, 3 pieces – 75″ long FRONT WALL
- E – 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 16′ long, 17 pieces – 88″ long BACK WALL
- F – 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 133″ long, 10 pieces – 88″ long, 6 pieces – 39″ long, 4 pieces – 4″ long, 4 pieces – 37″ long, 2 pieces – 36″ long SIDE WALL WITH WINDOW
- F – 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 133″ long, 10 pieces – 88″ long SIDE WALL
- G – 14 pieces of 5/8″ T1-11 siding sheets – 48″x96″ long, 2 pieces – 24″x96″ long, 2 pieces – 16″x48″ long SIDING
- H – 2 pieces of 6×6 lumber – 16′ long, 4 pieces – 12′ PLATES
- 5 pieces of 6×6 lumber – 16′
- 4 pieces of 6×6 lumber – 12′
- 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 16′
- 17 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 12′
- 6 pieces of 3/4″ plywood – 4’x8′
- 3 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 16′
- 73 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 8′
- 14 pieces of T1-11 siding – 4’x8′
- 2 1/2″ screws, 3 1/2″ screws, 1 5/8″ screws
- 4d nails, 6d nails,
- wood filler , wood glue, stain/paint
[/tab] [tab id=2]
[/tab] [tab id=3]
- PART 1: 12×16 Shed with a Hip Roof Plans
- PART 2: 12×16 Hip Roof Shed Plans
- PART 3: Door Plans for 12×16 Shed
It’s that simple to build a shed with a hip roof – Video!
12×16 Shed with Hip Roof Plans
The first step of the project is to build the floor frame. Cut the joists from 2×6 lumber, as shown in the diagram. Drill pilot holes and insert 3 1/2″ screws. Place the joists every 16″ on center and make sure the corners are square. Align the edges flush.
Fit 6×6 skids to the floor frame. Use rafter ties to secure the skids to the floor frame. The skids lifts the floor frame from the ground to protect it from moisture. Alternatively, you can use footings and posts for the shed.
Use 3/4″ plywood sheets for the floor. Cut all the sheets at the right dimensions and then lay them on the floor frame. Align the edges flush and leave no gaps between the sheets. Drill pilot holes and insert 1 5/8″ screws every 8″ along the framing.
Use 2×6 lumber for the plates and studs. Cut the components at the right dimensions, as shown in the plans. Drill pilot holes through the plates and insert 3 1/2″ screws into the studs. Place the studs every 16″ on center. Use triple studs at both ends of the wall frame. Frame the door opening and adjust the size to suit your needs. Use 2×6 lumber for the triple header. I have also frames two 24″x36″ windows for the front wall of the shed.
Next, frame the back wall for the 12×16 shed using 2×6 lumber. Drill pilot holes through the plates and insert 3 1/2″ screws into the studs. Place the studs every 16″ on center.
Frame the plain side wall using the info in the diagram.
Frame the opposite side wall and include a window. You can adjust the size of the window to suit your needs. Use 2×6 lumber for the triple plates. You can frame windows to both sides of the shed or to no side of the shed. You can also change the size of the window to suit your needs,
Fit the wall frames to the floor of the shed. Align the edges flush and plumb the walls vertically. Drill pilot holes through the bottom plates and insert 3 1/2″ screws into the floor frame. In addition, lock the adjacent walls together tightly with 3 1/2″ screws. Make sure the corners are square.
Use 6×6 lumber for the shed top rails. Use a circular saw to make parallel cuts inside the marked areas. Remove the excess with a chisel and smooth the surface with sandpaper.
Fit the rails to the top of the garden shed. Align the edges flush and lock the rails together tightly. Make sure the corners are square. drill pilot holes and insert 5 1/2″ screws from underneath into the plates.
Use 5/8″ siding T1-11 siding sheets for the exterior walls. Make cuts around the window opening and align the edges flush. Insert 8d nails, every 8″ along the framing.
Fit the siding sheets to the other side of the shed.
Make the cuts so you can fit the panels around the door opening. Align the edges flush and insert 8d nails, every 8″ along the framing.
Fit the siding sheets to the back of the shed. Use 8d nails to secure the sheets into place tightly.
This 12×16 garden shed is beautiful, sturdy and it has a lot of room for storage. You can add a man door to one side of the shed, for an easy access if you want to use it as a workshop. You can make a lot of adjustments and customize it to suit your needs. Please take a look over the rest of my woodworking plans, because I have over 1500 free designs.
This woodworking project was about 12×16 shed with hip roof plans free. If you want to see more outdoor plans, check out the rest of our step by step projects and follow the instructions to obtain a professional result.