This step by step diy project is about 12×16 lean to shed roof plans. This is PART 2 of the large shed with loft shed project, where I show you how to build the lean to roof. The roof of the shed is easy to build and it has generous overhangs on front and back. Take a look over the rest of my woodworking plans, if you want to get more building inspiration.
When buying the lumber, you should select the planks with great care, making sure they are straight and without any visible flaws (cracks, knots, twists, decay). Investing in cedar or other weather resistant lumber is a good idea, as it will pay off on the long run. Use a spirit level to plumb and align the components, before inserting the galvanized screws, otherwise the project won’t have a symmetrical look.
Projects made from these plans
12×16 Lean to Shed with Loft Roof Plans
- H – 18 pieces of T1-11 siding – 48″x96″ long, 4 pieces – 44″x48″ long, 2 pieces – 48″x81 1/2″ long, 2 pieces – 48″x65″ long, 1 piece – 12″x48″ long SIDING
- I – 13 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 175 3/4″ long, 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 32 1/4″ long, 2 pieces – 15 3/4″ long RAFTERS
- J – 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 175 3/4″ long, 5 pieces – 8 1/2″ long 2xOVERHANG
- K – 5 pieces of 3/4″ plywood – 48″x96″ long, 2 pieces – 12″x96″ long, 2 pieces – 12″x78″ long, 2 pieces – 48″x48″ long, 2 pieces – 30″x48″ long, 1 piece – 30″x96″ long ROOF SHEETS
- L – 380 sq ft of tar paper, 380 sq ft of asphalt shingles ROOFING
- M – 2 pieces of 1×8 lumber – 178″ long, 4 pieces – 108″ long, 4 pieces of 1×4 lumber – 188″ long, 4 pieces – 139 3/4″ long TRIMS
- N – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 84″ long, 1 piece – 103″ long JAMBS
- O – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 77″ long, 2 pieces – 48″ long, 1 piece – 41″ long, 1 piece of T1-11 siding – 48″x84″ long 2xDOOR
- P – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 84″ long, 1 piece – 39″ long JAMBS
- R – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 77″ long, 1 piece – 32″ long, 1 piece – 25″ long DOOR
- 27 pieces of 5/8″ T1-11 siding – 4’x8′
- 18 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 16′
- 9 pieces of 1/2″ plywood – 4’x8′
- 380 sq ft of tar paper, 380 sq ft of asphalt shingles
- 2 pieces of 1×8 lumber – 16′
- 4 pieces of 1×8 lumber – 10′
- 4 pieces of 1×4 lumber – 16′
- 4 pieces of 1×4 lumber – 14′
- 16 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 8′
- 1 piece of 2×4 lumber – 10′
- 36″x36″ window
- tar paper
- rafter ties
- 1 5/8″ screws
- 6d nails, 2 1/2″ screws, 3 1/2″ screws
- wood filler , wood glue, stain/paint
- shed hinges + latch
- PART 1: 12×16 Lean to Shed with Loft Shed Plans
- PART 2: 12×16 Lean to Shed Roof Plans
It’s that easy to build a 12×16 shed with loft – VIDEO!
Building a 12×16 lean to storage shed roof
The first step of the project is to build the rafters for the lean to roof. Use a miter saw to make 19 degree cuts at both ends of the 2×6 beams.
Mark the cut lines on the boards and then get the job done with a circular saw. The birdsmouth cuts will help you set the rafters into place easily.
Fit the rafters to the top of the shed, every 16″ on center. Use rafter ties to lock the rafters into place tightly. Use a spirit level to make sure the rafters are plumb.
Fit the 2×4 supports to the sides of the lean to roof. Drill pocket holes at both ends of the supports and lock them into place tightly.
Use 5/8″ T1-11 siding for the exterior of the shed. Align the edges with attention, leave no gaps between the sheets and insert 6d nails, every 8″ along the framing. Make the angle cuts, as show in the diagram. Make cuts for the double door opening, on the front wall of the lean to shed.
Fit the siding sheets to the side of the shed, making sure you cut out the opening for the door and window.
Assemble the roof overhangs from 2×6 rafters and 2×6 blockings. Drill pilot holes through the rafters and insert 2 1/2″ screws into the blockings.
Fit the overhangs to the roof of the shed. Align the edges, drill pilot holes and insert 3 1/2″ screws to lock them into place tightly.
Use 3/4″ plywood for the roofing sheets. Cut the sheets at the right dimensions and then lay them to the rafters. Align the edges with attention and insert 1 5/8″ screws, every 8″ along the framing. Leave no gaps between the sheets for a professional result.
Use 1×8 lumber for the roof trims. Use a miter saw to make the accurate angle cuts.
Fit the trims to the sides, front and back of the shed roof. Align the edges flush, insert 2″ nails to lock them into place tightly.
Cover the roof of the shed with roofing felt, making sure the strips overlap at least 2″. Secure the tar paper to the plywood sheets with roofing staples. In addition, cut a large piece for the top ridge. Fit the side drip edges over the roofing felt, while the bottom drip edges should be fit under. Read the instructions labeled on the asphalt shingle packs before installing them into place tightly. Start with the bottom left side of the roof and install them all the way to the top.
Use 2×4 lumber around the door opening. Align the edges, drill pilot holes and insert 2 1/2″ screws to lock them into place tightly.
Use T1-11 siding sheets for the door panel. First, assemble the frame from 2x4s. Drill pocket holes and insert 2 1/2″ screws to lock everything together tightly. Lay the panel to the door frame, align the edges flush and insert 1 5/8″ screws.
Fit the door to the opening and align the edges flush. Attach the hinges to lock the door into place. Install a latch, as well.
Fit the jambs around the front opening.
Assemble the double doors, as well.
Install the double shed doors into place.
Install the 1×4 trims to the corners of the shed. Align the edges flush and insert 2″ nails, to lock them into place tightly.
Install the window to the side of the shed. Fit decorative trims around the window. Last but not least, take care of the finishing touches.
I have lots of other shed projects on the site so I recommend you to browse through all alternatives before starting the building project. See all my shed projects HERE.
This woodworking project was about 12×16 garden lean to shed roof plans. If you want to see more outdoor plans, check out the rest of our step by step projects and follow the instructions to obtain a professional result.