This step by step diy project is about 8×20 gable storage shed roof plans. This gable shed roof has a 5:12 pitch and generous overhangs on all sides. Make sure you check the local building codes and make adjustments to comply with the local regulations. This shed roof is super easy to build, if you follow my diagrams with attention. Take a look over the rest of my woodworking plans, if you want to get more building inspiration.
When buying the lumber, you should select the planks with great care, making sure they are straight and without any visible flaws (cracks, knots, twists, decay). Investing in cedar or other weather resistant lumber is a good idea, as it will pay off on the long run. Use a spirit level to plumb and align the components, before inserting the galvanized screws, otherwise the project won’t have a symmetrical look.
Projects made from these plans
8×20 Gable Shed Roof Plans
- H – 4 pieces of T1-11 siding – 48″x23 3/4″ long SIDING
- I – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 60″ long, 1 piece – 89″ long 11xTRUSS
- J – 4 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 60″ long, 10 pieces – 6 1/2″ long 2xOVERHANG
- K – 4 pieces of 3/4″ plywood – 10″x60″ long, 4 pieces – 48″x96″ long, 2 pieces – 48″x48″ long, 4 pieces – 12″x96″ long, 2 pieces – 12″x48″ long ROOF
- L – 4 pieces of 1×6 lumber – 60 3/4″ long, 2 pieces – 260″ long TRIMS
- M – 250 sq ft of tar paper, 250 sq ft of asphalt shingles ROOFING
- 1 piece of T1-11 siding – 4’x8′
- 13 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 8′
- 30 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 8′
- 2 pieces of 1×6 lumber – 24′
- 4 pieces of 1×6 lumber – 6′
- 1 pieces of 1/2″ plywood – 4’x8′
- 8 pieces of 3/4″ plywood – 4’x8′
- 250 sq ft of tar paper, 250 sq ft of asphalt shingles
- 8d nails, 2 1/2″ screws, 3 1/2″ screws
- wood filler , wood glue, stain/paint
Building a 8×20 gable shed roof plans
The first step of the project is to build the trusses for the 8×20 shed. As you can easily notice in the diagram, you need to build the rafters from 2×4 lumber. Cut the rafters at the right dimensions and angles using a saw. Lay the rafters on a level surface and align the edges with attention. Leave no gaps between the rafters.
Fit 1/2″ plywood over the joints and align the edges. Insert 1 5/8″ screws to lock the gussets into place tightly.
Fit the trusses to the top of the shed. Plumb the trusses vertically and place the every 24″ on center. Use rafter ties to lock the trusses into place tightly.
Fit T1-11 siding panels to the gable ends. Mark the cut lines on the panels and then lock them into place with 6d nails. Leave no gaps between the panels.
Next, you need to assemble the overhangs for the shed. Drill pilot holes through the rafters and insert 2 1/2″ screws into the blockings.
Fit the overhangs to the front and back of the shed. Align the edges, drill pilot holes and insert 3 1/2″ screws to lock them into place tightly.
Cut the sheets for the roof from 3/4″ plywood and then fit them to the top of the shed. Align the edges with attention, drill pilot holes and insert 1 5/8″ screws, every 8″ along the rafters.
Fit the 1×6 trims to the sides of the roof. Align the trims with attention and insert 2″ nails.
Fit the 1×6 trims to the front and back of the roof. Align the edges and insert 2″ nails, every 8″ along the framing.
Cover the roof with tar paper and then install the asphalt shingles. Make sure you also install the appropriate drip edges, so you can seal the shed roof. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for a tight fit. Alternatively, you could also install metal sheets.
I have lots of other shed projects on the site so I recommend you to browse through all alternatives before starting the building project. See all my shed projects HERE. Moreover, check out PART 1 of the shed, so you learn how to build the frame of the shed. Check out PART 3 to learn how to build the double front doors, the side double doors and how to fit the decorative trims.
This woodworking project was about 8×20 gable shed roof plans free. If you want to see more outdoor plans, check out the rest of our step by step projects and follow the instructions to obtain a professional result.